Percentage cuts.
11 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Percentage cuts.
Hi all. I've been experimenting a lot recently with different washes with different ABV's.
With my AS it would be great if anyone knew at what ABV hearts start and where tails start etc etc.
I just don't have the time or room or a patient girlfriend to be lining up 20 jars in the kitchen every few days.
I have a makeshift parrot setup so I can measure on the go.
If nobody has done this work I'll do it myself and let y'all know.
Thanks, Marc.
With my AS it would be great if anyone knew at what ABV hearts start and where tails start etc etc.
I just don't have the time or room or a patient girlfriend to be lining up 20 jars in the kitchen every few days.
I have a makeshift parrot setup so I can measure on the go.
If nobody has done this work I'll do it myself and let y'all know.
Thanks, Marc.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Percentage cuts.
Sorry to say mate, as far as I know, there are
no short cuts. All the washes are different
but, If you do the same wash all the time, you
will get to know.
As a general rule 30-50-20%, thats heads-hearts-
tails works but can be a bit wasteful.
Have a read in the Airstill section, there are
two great topics for you.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1216
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=765
Love my Airstill such a clever tool.
no short cuts. All the washes are different
but, If you do the same wash all the time, you
will get to know.
As a general rule 30-50-20%, thats heads-hearts-
tails works but can be a bit wasteful.
Have a read in the Airstill section, there are
two great topics for you.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1216
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=765
Love my Airstill such a clever tool.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Percentage cuts.
What Gaza said..
If you use the same wash regularly (my current favourite is kale), you only have to go through the rigmarole of lots of little jars a couple of times, as you quickly learn how the wash distills. This presumes of course that you use the same recipe each time, in repeatable environmental conditions.
If you like to try lots of different washes, I suspect you're on a futile mission to come up with a one size fits all formula.
Just my tuppence worth
Cheers
Hampk
If you use the same wash regularly (my current favourite is kale), you only have to go through the rigmarole of lots of little jars a couple of times, as you quickly learn how the wash distills. This presumes of course that you use the same recipe each time, in repeatable environmental conditions.
If you like to try lots of different washes, I suspect you're on a futile mission to come up with a one size fits all formula.
Just my tuppence worth
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Percentage cuts.
+3 I do a kale wash. And because I know it. I take 100ml of the top and use a refractometer to stop at 30%.
Probably a bit wasteful in pure drinking alcohol. But I do use everything else in other jobs.
Probably a bit wasteful in pure drinking alcohol. But I do use everything else in other jobs.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Percentage cuts.
So, no then.
Sure, I'll have to settle on a wash.
So far I've done Still Spirits triple distilled as per AS instructions,
VS washes at 11 to 14 ABV, and wildly varying lentil washes.
I found SS triple to be far better tasting than VS but it's early days.
I haven't done a spirit run on my lentil low wines yet, however, judging
by the taste of the wash I'm not hopeful.
Hay-ho, Marc.
Sure, I'll have to settle on a wash.
So far I've done Still Spirits triple distilled as per AS instructions,
VS washes at 11 to 14 ABV, and wildly varying lentil washes.
I found SS triple to be far better tasting than VS but it's early days.
I haven't done a spirit run on my lentil low wines yet, however, judging
by the taste of the wash I'm not hopeful.
Hay-ho, Marc.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Percentage cuts.
Duffer Try a Kale Wash.Its very easy its very cheap
and very very clean. Its makes a fantastic Vodka/
Neutral.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3874
P.S. its the one most of us use
and very very clean. Its makes a fantastic Vodka/
Neutral.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3874
P.S. its the one most of us use
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Percentage cuts.
I will, but I have to nail one down soon.
I currently have a lentil/spinnach/tomato paste frankenwash on at the moment.
I had a little of each left so just chucked it all in.
It's going well. The spinach floats so the yeasties get a double boost
of nutrients on their convection travels.
I currently have a lentil/spinnach/tomato paste frankenwash on at the moment.
I had a little of each left so just chucked it all in.
It's going well. The spinach floats so the yeasties get a double boost
of nutrients on their convection travels.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Percentage cuts.
Being facetious here;
Has anyone considered little Balsa wood rafts,
With assorted detritus hanging from them?
Half a Lemon or Tomato for example...
Just thinking outside of the box....
Robert.
Has anyone considered little Balsa wood rafts,
With assorted detritus hanging from them?
Half a Lemon or Tomato for example...
Just thinking outside of the box....
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Percentage cuts.
Where is your owl and puss cat Easydrinker.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Percentage cuts.
gaza the instructor wrote:Where is your owl and puss cat Easydrinker.
In the mincer. Sausages. It's a hard life.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
11 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests