Percentage cuts.

The distillation process itself

Percentage cuts.

Postby Duffer26 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am

Hi all. I've been experimenting a lot recently with different washes with different ABV's.

With my AS it would be great if anyone knew at what ABV hearts start and where tails start etc etc.

I just don't have the time or room or a patient girlfriend to be lining up 20 jars in the kitchen every few days.

I have a makeshift parrot setup so I can measure on the go.

If nobody has done this work I'll do it myself and let y'all know.

Thanks, Marc.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby gaza the instructor » Thu May 11, 2017 11:13 am

Sorry to say mate, as far as I know, there are
no short cuts. All the washes are different
but, If you do the same wash all the time, you
will get to know.
As a general rule 30-50-20%, thats heads-hearts-
tails works but can be a bit wasteful.
Have a read in the Airstill section, there are
two great topics for you.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1216

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=765

Love my Airstill such a clever tool.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby hampk » Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 pm

What Gaza said..

If you use the same wash regularly (my current favourite is kale), you only have to go through the rigmarole of lots of little jars a couple of times, as you quickly learn how the wash distills. This presumes of course that you use the same recipe each time, in repeatable environmental conditions.

If you like to try lots of different washes, I suspect you're on a futile mission to come up with a one size fits all formula.

Just my tuppence worth ;)

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby Easydrinker » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm

+2, meaning, what they both said above.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby Mash » Fri May 12, 2017 5:48 am

+3 I do a kale wash. And because I know it. I take 100ml of the top and use a refractometer to stop at 30%.

Probably a bit wasteful in pure drinking alcohol. But I do use everything else in other jobs.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby Duffer26 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 am

So, no then.

Sure, I'll have to settle on a wash.

So far I've done Still Spirits triple distilled as per AS instructions,
VS washes at 11 to 14 ABV, and wildly varying lentil washes.

I found SS triple to be far better tasting than VS but it's early days.

I haven't done a spirit run on my lentil low wines yet, however, judging
by the taste of the wash I'm not hopeful.

Hay-ho, Marc.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby gaza the instructor » Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am

Duffer Try a Kale Wash.Its very easy its very cheap
and very very clean. Its makes a fantastic Vodka/
Neutral.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3874

P.S. its the one most of us use
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby Duffer26 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 am

I will, but I have to nail one down soon.

I currently have a lentil/spinnach/tomato paste frankenwash on at the moment.

I had a little of each left so just chucked it all in.

It's going well. The spinach floats so the yeasties get a double boost
of nutrients on their convection travels.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby Easydrinker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:01 am

Being facetious here;
Has anyone considered little Balsa wood rafts,
With assorted detritus hanging from them?
Half a Lemon or Tomato for example...
Just thinking outside of the box....

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby gaza the instructor » Sat May 13, 2017 6:17 am

Where is your owl and puss cat Easydrinker.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Percentage cuts.

Postby Easydrinker » Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

gaza the instructor wrote:Where is your owl and puss cat Easydrinker.


In the mincer. Sausages. It's a hard life. :o

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests