S.L.O.W. lentils

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:25 am

I'm going to butt in here,Chuck can thump me later..
It seems chill's Ph buffer has failed him recently and may need re-working.
Personally,I have considered Ph buffers since I read about them here several years ago.
I now do not consider a pre-emptive strike the way to go.
I check the Ph at yeast pitching time,and also if it appears slow or dormant during ferment,and adjust as/if needed.
Sometimes I have to add Sodium Bicarbonate to a slow ferment.
It is as simple as that.
That works for me.
And the simpler I can keep it the better.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby chill » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:13 am

I have found that just adding baking soda when the pH dives results in yo-yo-ing pH. A properly formulated buffer will keep the pH in a narrow range. An improperly formulated buffer will make things worse (my has resulted in a high pH which I suspect has resulted in lower alcohol production).

Google "ph buffer baking soda citric acid" for buffer details, or start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWEMSKtvIBA
http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewto ... f=7&t=1109
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=41252


Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Mash » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 am

I have a wheat/malt wash on and there seems to be no issue.
So is it something about lentils? Is the pH swing being caused by nutrient deficiency? in which case things a small amount (1/2 tsp) of something like Tronozymol would also fix the problem?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby chill » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm

I've had it in washes other than lentils and adding DAP and a yeast nutrient that looks similar to Tronozymol did not help. I thought it was normal! :D
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Mash » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 pm

I would have thought you could have fermented sugar without lentils and just use Tronozymol for its nutrient base.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Easydrinker » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 am

I am not doubting Chuck's knowledge or experience of buffers here.
And I am not stating that my method of an intervention,if needed,is the only way to go.
Sometimes my washes do as intended;ferment out with no intervention,sometimes not.
I find a timely adjustment of Ph. results in a quickly finished wash,with no time for Ph. swings.
My method works for me,and seems simple.
A buffer may assure me of the same results? But seems to be one more (constant) step.

Idiosyncrasy,- "a mode of behaviour or way of thought peculiar to an individual".
I think that sums me up.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Mash » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Are you suggesting you are peculiar individual Robert :D :D

If it works for you....Absolutely that's all good.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby hampk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:36 am

Well plenty to think about in that lot - thanks for all the comments.

This wash has stuck - dropped to 0.998 and that appears to be as far as it's going. I won't be starting another for a few weeks as parts foreign beckon, which will give me time to contemplate what I am learning. Might try wheat next time ::)

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Mash » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 am

hmm. 0.998 - I don't think thats stuck I think its done IMO.
Last edited by Mash on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby chill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Yep, done like dinner. Run it!
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Almanac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Ideally, (remember I said Ideally) a Lentil wash should finish at 0.990 and sometimes a tiny bit lower but 0.998 is almost there and as the guys said it's probably done in this case.

The 'loss' in ABV will be negligible in the big scheme of things ;)

A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.990 will be 11.61% ABV
A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.998 will be 10.58% ABV

Not worth sweating over ;)
Almanac
Almanac
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Easydrinker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:05 pm

As with most here,I consider any wash below 1.000,without visible activity finished (and sometimes even a little higher),wishing you luck with the runs.

Rober6
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby hampk » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice on that guys - it's clearing now. I'm still bemused by the fact that it took the best part of three weeks to get there, but maybe I just need to practice my patience!

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby Mash » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:01 am

Lots of stuff affects the duration of a ferment.
Top few...
Temperatures.
Temp fluctuation
Yeast pitching
Yeast Viability.
That said 3 weeks isn't a grossly long time IMO for bakers yeast.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

Postby hampk » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks for the opinion on that Mashy - maybe I'm just hung up on the recipe saying a week!

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest