S.L.O.W. lentils
48 posts
• Page 2 of 4 • 1, 2, 3, 4
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
I'm going to butt in here,Chuck can thump me later..
It seems chill's Ph buffer has failed him recently and may need re-working.
Personally,I have considered Ph buffers since I read about them here several years ago.
I now do not consider a pre-emptive strike the way to go.
I check the Ph at yeast pitching time,and also if it appears slow or dormant during ferment,and adjust as/if needed.
Sometimes I have to add Sodium Bicarbonate to a slow ferment.
It is as simple as that.
That works for me.
And the simpler I can keep it the better.
Robert.
It seems chill's Ph buffer has failed him recently and may need re-working.
Personally,I have considered Ph buffers since I read about them here several years ago.
I now do not consider a pre-emptive strike the way to go.
I check the Ph at yeast pitching time,and also if it appears slow or dormant during ferment,and adjust as/if needed.
Sometimes I have to add Sodium Bicarbonate to a slow ferment.
It is as simple as that.
That works for me.
And the simpler I can keep it the better.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
I have found that just adding baking soda when the pH dives results in yo-yo-ing pH. A properly formulated buffer will keep the pH in a narrow range. An improperly formulated buffer will make things worse (my has resulted in a high pH which I suspect has resulted in lower alcohol production).
Google "ph buffer baking soda citric acid" for buffer details, or start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWEMSKtvIBA
http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewto ... f=7&t=1109
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=41252
Chuck
Google "ph buffer baking soda citric acid" for buffer details, or start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWEMSKtvIBA
http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewto ... f=7&t=1109
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=41252
Chuck
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
I have a wheat/malt wash on and there seems to be no issue.
So is it something about lentils? Is the pH swing being caused by nutrient deficiency? in which case things a small amount (1/2 tsp) of something like Tronozymol would also fix the problem?
So is it something about lentils? Is the pH swing being caused by nutrient deficiency? in which case things a small amount (1/2 tsp) of something like Tronozymol would also fix the problem?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
I've had it in washes other than lentils and adding DAP and a yeast nutrient that looks similar to Tronozymol did not help. I thought it was normal! 

-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
I would have thought you could have fermented sugar without lentils and just use Tronozymol for its nutrient base.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
I am not doubting Chuck's knowledge or experience of buffers here.
And I am not stating that my method of an intervention,if needed,is the only way to go.
Sometimes my washes do as intended;ferment out with no intervention,sometimes not.
I find a timely adjustment of Ph. results in a quickly finished wash,with no time for Ph. swings.
My method works for me,and seems simple.
A buffer may assure me of the same results? But seems to be one more (constant) step.
Idiosyncrasy,- "a mode of behaviour or way of thought peculiar to an individual".
I think that sums me up.
Robert.
And I am not stating that my method of an intervention,if needed,is the only way to go.
Sometimes my washes do as intended;ferment out with no intervention,sometimes not.
I find a timely adjustment of Ph. results in a quickly finished wash,with no time for Ph. swings.
My method works for me,and seems simple.
A buffer may assure me of the same results? But seems to be one more (constant) step.
Idiosyncrasy,- "a mode of behaviour or way of thought peculiar to an individual".
I think that sums me up.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Are you suggesting you are peculiar individual Robert

If it works for you....Absolutely that's all good.

If it works for you....Absolutely that's all good.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Well plenty to think about in that lot - thanks for all the comments.
This wash has stuck - dropped to 0.998 and that appears to be as far as it's going. I won't be starting another for a few weeks as parts foreign beckon, which will give me time to contemplate what I am learning. Might try wheat next time
Cheers
Hampk
This wash has stuck - dropped to 0.998 and that appears to be as far as it's going. I won't be starting another for a few weeks as parts foreign beckon, which will give me time to contemplate what I am learning. Might try wheat next time
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
hmm. 0.998 - I don't think thats stuck I think its done IMO.
Last edited by Mash on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Yep, done like dinner. Run it!
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Ideally, (remember I said Ideally) a Lentil wash should finish at 0.990 and sometimes a tiny bit lower but 0.998 is almost there and as the guys said it's probably done in this case.
The 'loss' in ABV will be negligible in the big scheme of things
A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.990 will be 11.61% ABV
A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.998 will be 10.58% ABV
Not worth sweating over
The 'loss' in ABV will be negligible in the big scheme of things
A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.990 will be 11.61% ABV
A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.998 will be 10.58% ABV
Not worth sweating over

Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
As with most here,I consider any wash below 1.000,without visible activity finished (and sometimes even a little higher),wishing you luck with the runs.
Rober6
Rober6
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Thanks for the advice on that guys - it's clearing now. I'm still bemused by the fact that it took the best part of three weeks to get there, but maybe I just need to practice my patience!
Hampk
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Lots of stuff affects the duration of a ferment.
Top few...
Temperatures.
Temp fluctuation
Yeast pitching
Yeast Viability.
That said 3 weeks isn't a grossly long time IMO for bakers yeast.
Top few...
Temperatures.
Temp fluctuation
Yeast pitching
Yeast Viability.
That said 3 weeks isn't a grossly long time IMO for bakers yeast.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: S.L.O.W. lentils
Thanks for the opinion on that Mashy - maybe I'm just hung up on the recipe saying a week!
Hampk
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
48 posts
• Page 2 of 4 • 1, 2, 3, 4
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest